Monday, February 9, 2009

TWO Fantastic Movies this Weekend!

Before this weekend, I hadn't been to the movies in a while.  I love movies, just never get around to going to the theater; books are a lot cheaper entertainment.  This weekend, though, I managed to get myself into a seat with a huge soda and a bucket full of popcorn TWICE. 

First was Coraline on Friday night.  Perhaps the best animated film I've ever seen based sheerly on its artistic merits.  The colors were so vibrant and the 3D added so much depth and layers to the scenes that it just sucked you right into the story--which was pretty darn good, too.  Just enough creepiness to make it fun, but not overdone.  While I intended to read The Graveyard Book before I saw the movie, it's shot to the top of my list after witnessing the power of Neil Gaiman's imagination.

The other movie I saw was Gran Torino.  Wow, what a film.  This was the first Clint Eastwood movie I've ever seen, and he was fantastic.  It was certainly colored with some potentially offensive language, but I think it was handled so well that it fit with the tone of everything else and didn't bother me one bit.  Of course, I'm not one to be easily offended.  Lots of laughs and drama throughout; great, great movie.

I think maybe I need to get to the theaters more often.

2 comments:

kathleen duey said...

Tyler, you have the perfect attitude about rejection. I predict you will survive emotionally long enough to publish...

Thanks for the film round up. These are two I need to see. Wait. Really? You have never seen an Eastwood film? You are going to have fun catching up. They are not all brilliant, but many are--as director and as actor.

Tyler said...

Thanks, Kathleen, encouragement from others certainly helps too. :)

And yes, I believe I am going to have a great time catching up, haha. Now everywhere I look when I go into Best Buy or the movies section of Target I see Clint's grimacing face staring at me from the cover of one film or another.